Sunday, October 5, 2014

My journey to Yellowstone (No, not that one)

October marks the beginning of one of China's many holidays, 黄金周, or Golden Week. It was created by the Chinese government back in 2000 for the purpose of stimulating the tourism industry and giving people a chance to visit their families. I can't help but wish that the American government would take up the "let's just make up a holiday so we can hang out for a week" stance of which the communists are so fond. Regardless, for me and my classmates it means we had seven days to do whatever our minds can imagine and our incredibly small budgets can afford. 

We quickly struck upon the idea that we would visit our friend Bobby's hometown, 黄石. Huangshi, about an hour and half outside of Wuhan, is a "small city" by Chinese standards, with only about 2.6 million people. That's twice the population of New Hampshire. Small city. Right. Anyways, Bobby was born and raised in Australia, but his parents are from Huangshi and they often visit family there. It just so happened that they were there for the holiday so they invited us to come spend it with them in the city. We all jumped at the chance to get out of the city for a bit.

We intended to take the high speed train to Huangshi on Wednesday, but as you would expect, things didn't go as planned. For starters, we couldn't get a taxi to stop and pick us up. This is partially our own faults as it was around 4:00, the time when taxi drivers change shifts and then get dinner. Therefore we walked about a mile down the road with our thumbs out before we finally got a ride. Once we got to the station we found out there were no more tickets available. Also we were at the wrong station. So much for that plan. 

Just when we thought all was lost, Bobby's dad, Michael, volunteered to come pick us up from the station. Now I mentioned before that Huangshi is about an hour and a half from Wuhan, which makes it very interesting that Bobby's dad arrived about 45 minutes later. Turns out he is my kind of guy, the kind of guy that drives his Mercedes SUV about 110 MPH down the highway. We hopped in and I got to see that driving style firsthand. It was awesome. The man threaded that 6,000 lbs SUV like a needle between ancient trucks and tiny hatchbacks, with me giggling in the back seat.

Soon we were arrived at Michael’s restaurant in Huangshi. At this point I should mention that Bobby’s dad is a man of means. When I say means, I mean millions. Here’s an example; Bobby works at a country house-style hotel in Sydney called Milton Park. One day his dad visited and fell in love with the place, so he bought it. Then he returned to Huangshi where he built another restaurant/hotel and named it Milton Park in homage to the original. This would become a running joke on the trip. When we walked into a building one of us would always say, “I like this place. I think I’ll buy it.”

It is also worth mentioning that you would never know that Bobby came from this kind of wealth if you met him. He doesn't dress in Louis Vuitton or wear gold chains, in fact he worked at McDonalds in Australia and he’s about as down to earth as a guy can be. He’s also incredibly generous and he’s the reason I am staring at a bookshelf in my room and why I never have to pay for laundry (his uncle bought him a washing machine, which I refer to as “my” washing machine all the time. I am only half joking.)

Dinner that night was with Bobby’s family including his mother, two brothers and his cousin, TonyNickDanny. TonyNickDanny earned this title because he simply couldn’t decide on an English name, leading Bobby and his brothers to combine all his ideas into one.



From the left: TonyNickDanny, Natalia (Poland), Robyn (England), Virag
(Hungary), Bobby (Australia), Aino
(Finland), Ned (USA), Bobby's dad
It was a great time, especially the never ending Budweiser and sparkling grape juice (I preferred the grape juice, if I'm being honest). I of course love this type of occasion as it gives me the chance to make jokes in front of an audience, the purpose of my existence. Once dinner was over we went downstairs and hung out till 1:00 when we decided to head to our hotel and promptly fell asleep. Stay tuned for days two through four.

No comments:

Post a Comment